No one would have believed in the early years of the twenty-first century that we were being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than that of individual man and yet as mortal as he; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the government as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea that they did not have the interests of the people at heart. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. Yet across the gulf of the ether, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intelligence forces vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded the people with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. And later in the twenty-first century came the great disillusionment. Their antics were exposed to the general public!! BUGGER!! (With sincere apologies to H. G Wells).
As our NO Coalition government digs itself deeper and deeper into a diplomatic hole with our nearer neighbour, HG, seemed remarkably prescient with just a little contextual modification. Apart from creating diplomatic disaster, with their white colonialist attitude to anyone non-European, we wonder what other delights this new government has produced in its first few weeks of what they suggest is ‘governance’! Bronwyn Bishop, her haughty demeanour, and her ‘Madama’ desires came to mind with this;
We were reminded that Joe Hockey (aka Mr Eleventy), he of the LABOR BUDGET EMERGENCY that wasn’t, demanded more money to fix said non-existent emergency. A bygone TV show came immediately to mind with;
And, incapable of resisting the incipient ‘cheesiness’ of Mr Eleventy, back came the rat with his particular take on telegraphing government intent;
And with Tony (Jubya) Abbott’s wonderful diplomatic skills;
And finally with his warped view of what it would be like to be pregnant, and well off, in the wonderful brave new world of the NO Coalition with;
Given that STOPPING THE BOATS seemed to be the central topic of conversation in our sorely frustrated media chooks we wondered whether boat trips were still de riguer, and somewhat unstoppable, and that gave thoughts to other means of travel with;
We thought it was time that our esteemed leader let those naughty people smugglers know that he was well and truly on top of all the issues with;
Naturally Scott Morrison had to put his particular slant on ‘illegally arriving not asylum seekers’ (or whatever they’re being called now) with;
And all of that led to openness and honesty in government – some things which, sadly, appear to have gone the way of the dodo with this particular government, and;
And finally, you just couldn’t miss Tony Abbott’s revelation that; ‘Hey, torture was OK, especially if the circumstances were difficult’ with;
Can someone kindly point me to the place in the Geneva Convention where the ‘difficulty’ escape clause is?
I must admit I never thought that I would see the day when an Australian Prime Minister would condone torture – under any circumstances. Shame on you! You are an absolute disgrace!
And that’s about it!
- Graphical Manipulations #58: Leaky Roofs, Worries, Fiscality, Benefits, Politicisation, Digital Support, The Rat, And Regretfulness! (deknarf.wordpress.com)
- Graphical Manipulations #60: Elvis, Bonuses, That Bloody Rat, And Democracy – NO Coalition Style! (deknarf.wordpress.com)
- Graphical Manipulations #59: Secrets, Knowns, The Rat And A Leadership Deficit Emergency! (deknarf.wordpress.com)
- Graphical Manipulations #57: Children, Crosses, Kamikaze Republicans, That Rat, And Speaking Hypothetically! (deknarf.wordpress.com)
- Graphical Manipulations #55: Driving, Sails, Krill, Books, Rorts, The Rat & Last Words! (deknarf.wordpress.com)
- Australia’s new gov’t vows to scrap carbon tax (bigstory.ap.org)
- Abbott maintains silence on spy claims (skynews.com.au)
- MPs sworn in, Bishop elected to Speaker’s chair, as 44th Parliament opens for business (abc.net.au)
- Abbott warns of nation’s debt blowout (smh.com.au)