Since September I’ve had this peculiar feeling that something was strangely amiss as we went about our daily affairs. An uncomfortable little niggle in the back of the mind of not quite rightness, unkosher, something ephemeral was no long extant, an absence, a partial vacuum existing in the daily brain upload. And then I realised what it was – THE POLL DEARTH!
Yes indeed, we were no longer being bombarded with polls, day after day, in the papers, on the TV! No longer were we encouraged to download the latest pollster app and participate, on line in real time in making little squiggles on the TV screen go up and down. The phone calls has ceased and we were no longer bombarded with inane question about who was the better, bestest and being good. Gone was the miniscule dissection, by journalistic mathematical ignoramuses, of a one percentage point change in a poll with an error margin of plus/minus two or three percent! No more breathless explanation of what it all meant, and the disasters that that little one percentage point (buried amongst the poll noise) was about to bring down upon us, or those referred to in the poll. It seemed that we had finally reached that nirvana land of ‘Pollonia in absentia’. But no! There was to be just a temporary respite On Monday November 25th THE POLLS RETURNED and once again we retrograded back to the world of ‘Pollonia in perpetua’ on the great tiding that the NO Coalition government was THE POLL UNDERLING! And other stuff of course but I got bored and sto . . . . . . . .
And all that thought about polls and mathematically ignorant journalists led to thoughts about those who deal with such as these, and to this;
That lead naturally to thoughts about the great squawk and cackle coming from the media about the reluctance of our GREAT COALITION GOVERNMENT to fess up about the progress of OPERATION SOVEREIGN STUPIDITY and to this little piece of enlightment;
Then of course there was the news that the oldlings of this country, despite contributing much of their lives to WORKING AND TAXES were going to be a BURDEN TO AUSTRALIA and that the MASTERFUL FINAL SOLUTION was to get them to work a tad longer. Just a tad mind! And that lead to this;
A drawn breath, a pause in thought, a sip of wine – well more of a draught; and back came Rattus adding his particularly warped sense of the ridiculous to the events of the week with;
A few thoughts on gayness and stately heads with;
And thoughts about what might be contained in THE SENT LETTER with;
One could not go past mentioning AN EXCELLENT BOOK that fell into our hands which is WELL WORTH READING, particularly if you have a bad case of monosyllaby or a bad case of BIG WORD PHOBIA. The title speaks for itself;
And if you are a rampant neo-conservative with extreme white supremacist, neo-colonialist tendencies then another great release coming soon to the remainders shelves is just RIGHT FOR YOU;
A good read of said book occasioned some sympathetic thoughts for a nanosecond or two related to leaderly thoughts on apologies and to;
And that lead to thinking about those 250 million Indonesians and their view of the current slight misunderstanding with the 23 million people living a stone’s throw (well a couple of days on a boat really) South by South West and this;
And there we have it, except for the last bit!
Postscript: All characters appearing in this work are entirely, and amazingly, fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living, dead or in a zombie like state, is purely coincidental with an exceptionally high probability of being the construct of a deluded mind trying to grasp the true meaning of the political unreality of Australian politics!
- Graphical Manipulations #59: Secrets, Knowns, The Rat And A Leadership Deficit Emergency! (deknarf.wordpress.com)
- Graphical Manipulations #60: Elvis, Bonuses, That Bloody Rat, And Democracy – NO Coalition Style! (deknarf.wordpress.com)
- Graphical Manipulations #58: Leaky Roofs, Worries, Fiscality, Benefits, Politicisation, Digital Support, The Rat, And Regretfulness! (deknarf.wordpress.com)
- Graphical Manipulations #56: Snort, Snort, Rort, Rort, Stupidity, Rats, And An Untimely Demise! (deknarf.wordpress.com)
- Graphical Manipulations #61: Watchers, Farces, Billions, The Rat, Rogue Travellers And Excuses! (deknarf.wordpress.com)
- Graphical Manipulations #57: Children, Crosses, Kamikaze Republicans, That Rat, And Speaking Hypothetically! (deknarf.wordpress.com)
- Honeymoon Fades for Australia’s New PM Abbott: Poll (thejakartaglobe.com)
- An Open Letter to Laurie Oakes (theageofblasphemy.wordpress.com)
- On spying, diplomacy and privacy in an internet world (phdscienceandlife.wordpress.com)